Williamsburg's Homeless & Indigent

P.O. Box 366, Lightfoot, VA 23090
Office: 757-561-3255
wsmburghomeless@yahoo.com
"Assisting people in re-gaining hope and a better way of life."

Wednesday, March 26, 2003

I have just noticed, I guess it is because of my article in "The Last Word" that my site is being logged from all over and I just received this e-mail from a lady in Williamsburg. But, just to let everyone know, I contacted the fire department and the police of our area and gave them our number with the request to call us if they pick any Homeless up, day or night. We would prefer to let us figure out something to do, instead of shipping them off to N.N. or any other town. All that does is put our situation on another area. Also, many of the people in Williamsburg feel like it isn't the towns problem nor do they have any responsibility to the Homeless. But, if we try to put them on a bus to somewhere else, the town has then admitted it is our problem and our responsibility. (Same theory if you rent a house, but don't sign the lease, yet you move in, you are responsible to pay the rent.) The moment you act upon a situation, you have said you want to be part of the solution, but WE NEED TO FIND ANOTHER SOLUTION!

E-Mail to helpthehomeless@cox.net:
I was surprised and delighted to hear about your concern for the
homeless. I don't know if you know this but the city had a homeless
shelter and the city council tore it down, citing that we don't have any
homeless and if we have a shelter then we will have them. The city has
an agreement with Newport News that if the police find any homeless
people they will be taken to N.N.

I am keeping you in my prayers and hope that I can help. I am a parent
of a middle school girl, but I am also unemployed so my funds are limited
at this point, however, I am a girl scout leader and feel that I should
help. Please let me know what my troop and myself can do. If you would
like to speak to our leader meeting, we have them the last Tuesday of
each month at 7 pm in the basement of the Williamsburg United Methodist
Church, on Jamestown Road.

We also have a very active Youth Group at the above mentioned methodist
church and they are always looking for groups to help. As a matter of
fact, they will be traveling to Washington DC to feed the homeless there.
So, let me know what we can do for you.

Please keep in touch and let me know if there is anything I can do to
help.
God Bless and take care.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home