Williamsburg's Homeless & Indigent

P.O. Box 366, Lightfoot, VA 23090
Office: 757-561-3255
wsmburghomeless@yahoo.com
"Assisting people in re-gaining hope and a better way of life."

Thursday, February 12, 2004

Isn't life funny? OK so that is a bit of sarcasim. In the past few days, I have spoken with Pastors who have told me "Be upfront and honest about what happen to you." You see, in the beginning, I always said "If I was hurt by a homeless person, nobody would know because I didn't want to make the stigma worse" but the reality of it, is that it doesn't matter if it was a homeless person or not. The reality is it was a person who hurt another person. Trust me, you can go to any state or city records and see that there are just as many crimes commited by people who live in houses (if not more) than those who are homeless. And there are times when the crime is commited against a homeless person.

The other night, I receuved this comment/question on the website: Will you invite the homeless guy who trashed you and hubby to dinner? Michael Michalko ... OK Michael, in all honesty no, now Kermit Gray would not be allowed to come for dinner at our home. Whether it makes me seem like a hypocrite or not, doesn't matter. What it comes down to is the fact that he had already assaulted a friend of our that was here earlier that day, assaulted me, my husband and our roommate. If it was just my husband and I, maybe. But, considering we have other friends over for dinner, no I will not be the type to put somebody else in jepardy. I may have the love for the homeless and want to help, but I also respect others enough to not want to put them in harms way. I may be known for helping the homeless, but what people don't realize is that we also protect the homeless and the community. If we find out somebody is lying and abusing the system, we red flag them, so others who truly need help aren't left out. That is also why I get so irked for the fact that if we had the Eastern State Building that was offered and fought against by the County, we wouldn't have to worry about putting somebody in harms way.

Here in our area, it is uncommon for somebody who is homeless to hurt another. Yet, he is still out running around even after we filed 3 assault warrents for him, UW called the police on him when he was estranged and seeking help and it has been over a week and everyone knows where he is residing. Those who need and want help, usually don't go out and beat others up. But, unfortunately, the stigma is there, whether we let people in society know what is going on or not.

What does it all come down to? GOD! We didn't make ourselves, nor did we set our purpose in life. God created us and God designed us for His reasons. When we finally realize that, maybe then we can examine our purpose for Him and not ourselves. Even I am guilty of saying "I" too much and not "He" "Him" or "God". Do I forgive Kermit for hitting me? Yes. But I, nor you, are the one to judge. When we all realize this, maybe we can also see the true reasons behind homelessness. On a spritual level, remember God said "the poor and needy shall never cease from this land." "Why" is the question many of us ask and seek for answers to a never ending problem. My opinion "Blessed be ye poor: for yours is the kingdom of God. Blessed are ye that hunger now: for ye shall be filled. Blessed are ye that weep now: for ye shall laugh. Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake. Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold, your reward is great in heaven." Basically, as long as we keep turning away from those who are as Christ (homeless) and look for material rewards, instead of spiritual ones, we will keep being in the presence of those (the poor and needy) like Christ, who look for the kindness of another. So remember, Jesus was homeless and to turn your back on a homeless person is turning your back on God's Son.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home