Williamsburg's Homeless & Indigent

P.O. Box 366, Lightfoot, VA 23090
Office: 757-561-3255
wsmburghomeless@yahoo.com
"Assisting people in re-gaining hope and a better way of life."

Wednesday, January 28, 2004

JUST SOME RAMBLINGS FROM A PERSON WHO LOVES THE HOMELESS

Even though I am sick, I still have duties to fulfill. While lying on the couch with my throat aching, I kept trying to figure out what to fix for dinner. Suddenly I got a craving for fixing curry chicken (I am a big fan of fixing Indian cuisine.) I know it might seem stupid to talk about dinner on the blogsite, but it is relevant. So here are my thoughts and feelings:

1. AS KEVIN POINTED OUT ABOUT THE CHURCHS' PROGRAM, WHEN YOU EAT, IT IS LIKE BEING SERVED AND NOT FELLOWSHIP. Geoff and I HATE this mentality! We don't believe in serving food and us go to another room. When somebody who is homeless comes to our house as a dinner guest (which typically it is anywhere from 10-18 people a night,) we ALL sit down as a family at our dining room table and another table we added in our dining area. We say grace and then as a family would, start passing the grub! Without fellowshipping and showing care, all you are doing is handing out free food. Does this make them feel good? Typically no.

2. AS MANY HOMELESS HAVE POINTED OUT ABOUT FOOD IN OTHER PROGRAMS, IT IS VERY BASIC FOOD. Geoff and/or I cook each night. Everything is homemade for the mostpart (even at times the bread.) We don't do boxed mashed potatoes, we do real mashed potatoes. A typical meal at dinner would be chicken or pork chops, 2 veggies, sometime salad, bread and at times desert. Now on occassion we might do a hamburger helper, such as last night, but that is rare. The way we see it is if the everyday person in a home deserves 21 meals a week, then why don't the homeless. If the everyday person in a home deserves meat, veggies and desert then why don't the homeless?

3. But, I also want to point out that we could not do this without the churches. When we get low on food, people come over and drop off bags/boxes of fresh food so we can help feed our dinner guests and lunch guests. We are working on trying to get more people to come for dinner so they can fellowship and share in our love for the homeless.

OK MY THROAT IS HURTING AGAIN AND A FEVER SO I WILL CONTINUE LATER

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home