Williamsburg's Homeless & Indigent

P.O. Box 366, Lightfoot, VA 23090
Office: 757-561-3255
wsmburghomeless@yahoo.com
"Assisting people in re-gaining hope and a better way of life."

Sunday, May 11, 2003

I, and many others, have said before that homelessness does NOT discriminate. At any given time, no matter who you are or how much you make, it CAN happen to you. If you don't believe me, then read this email I received last night. He wrote it in hopes to open people's eyes that YOU COULD BE NEXT!

I have read some of the letters on your web page and I find it very sad that people use the term "afraid" of THEM to hide behind.They treat homelessness as disease that you are born with or catch like the common cold.
I found your web page by total accident. I my self am looking into a homeless shelter. This is a very difficult time for me. I think I would have some of the residents of Williamsburg know that anyone can be homeless at any time if the circumstances are just right. I never thought that it would be happening to me.Homelessness is not prejudice. It could happen to you or any one in your family.
Just so your readers might have a change of heart I will tell you a little about myself. I used to work in Midtown Manhattan for 9 years. I have witnessed homeless every were I had gone. You can only give but so much however I had always done the best I could. I grew up in a single parent household with very little money. Out of all those years I have never seen or heard of any homeless person attacking or harassing anyone. If anything I had found that they were proud people very reluctant to accept help. I had moved here in 1995 and had a very good job in real-estate. The funny thing is I am considered to be at the top of my field. I had worked for the same employer for years here. I had gotten sick for about 6 weeks and fell behind in my bills. I live alone and now have no family other than a cat I saved form being put asleep only because he was to ugly for any one to adopt. Feeling lost here I named him Wilson off of the movie " Cast Away". I obviously tried to avoid what is the inevitable at this point. I was forced to change jobs. I had put in for about 10 different loans both in person and on the internet "nothing" I tried negotiating debt consolidation "nothing"
I had requested help from unemployment, James City Co. The United Way "nothing'" I even tried area churches "nothing" I had told all of these folks that I do not want a hand out. I am willing to pay the money back within 90 days at 21% interest. I even offered collateral as reassurance of my intentions "nothing" How does one go from $75,000.00 per year for 7 years running and now is having his utilities shut off and is being evicted, his car reposed, and paid well over $20,000.00 in taxes every year. I could be one of your neighbors. I have looked back for the past four months trying to assess how this could of happened on the many nights that I can not sleep, yet have to be up in the morning to keep going a pray that things will get better. Regardless of the stress of being made to feel like a loser with your bill collectors of companies and accounts that you have had for years. It amazes me how money will change peoples attitude towards human beings. I often wonder if people really are afraid of the homeless or they just don't want them around because it could be a reminder that it could happen to any of us. I have looked everywhere that I can think and have come up zero. The mental punishment that you must endure can break even the strongest people. Every time I have pined my hopes to a solution it has always back fired in my face and I find my self back in the same place that I had started with less time.I can not tell you how many hours I have spent looking on the internet for solutions for temporary housing to catch my breath for a few months. There is absolutely nothing out there to help people. If there was I would have found it by now. Patti just remember one thing it takes 100% to make a difference and 1% to sit back and do nothing but judge other peoples efforts. Joe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home