Williamsburg's Homeless & Indigent

P.O. Box 366, Lightfoot, VA 23090
Office: 757-561-3255
wsmburghomeless@yahoo.com
"Assisting people in re-gaining hope and a better way of life."

Friday, November 14, 2003

After speaking with Hadyn briefly today about a new freshman at school who is in full support of white affirmative action, I had to go to the website www.dogstreetjournal myself to read his article. But, instead of finding his, I found Prof. Royster's response instead. After reading her article, I had to call her in support. We are in an area (Williamsburg) that is made up of the upper elite, W&M College and the working poor. The population of middle-class is few and the homeless population falls between the cracks of society.

When I spoke with Prof. Royster, I wanted to let her know how much I enjoyed the article and the fact she teaches and stands on the rights of all people. Although I do agree with freedom of speech, I do not believe in racial slurs or even hostil activities against another human, especially if it is racial. But, I am excited to see what forums will come of her article and plan to be there for support of the people who are typically made to be the scapegoat of society's imbalance.

It goes back to an earlier blog that I wrote about crayons. You see, without a diverse group of colors (or people), a box of crayons would not be complete. This is the same for the world. It takes all of us to maintain the population of the world. There is no such thing as white or black or olive or yelllow in my world...there are just people. The last time I checked, we all bleed the color red.

"A Box of Crayons"
How many different colors make up a box of crayons? Depending on the time period you were raised in, it varies: 16, 32, 64, 96, 128 and so on. But I have never seen a box of crayons made up of black and white! Have you? So why does our society have to feel people are that way? Although it is obvious that many different 'colors' make up our world, my husband nor myself view people on that level. We don't decide who we are friends with based on race, gender, origin, or nationality; we are friends with people that we share common bonds and interest with. We have several friends that are Hispanic, Italian, Asian, Black and White. Some people who work with us in our ministry are even examples of this. Our common bond being the love and concern for homeless people. Many of the people who work with us monetarily are also examples of this. Down south, my husband had a crew that consisted of ALL people, not just one 'race'. We don't nor will we ever base our friends or co-workers with 'rose colored glasses', but with color-blind shades. People who do not like our friends, don't have to be friends with them. People who don't like our co-workers don't have to work with or hire them. People who don't like us because of this don't have to associate with us, because we do have other friends. Our box of crayons is made up of many colors that God created...and by the way, we color outside of the lines also! (In other words, we don't conform because others say we have to.)





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home