Williamsburg's Homeless & Indigent

P.O. Box 366, Lightfoot, VA 23090
Office: 757-561-3255
wsmburghomeless@yahoo.com
"Assisting people in re-gaining hope and a better way of life."

Sunday, October 12, 2003

OTHERS

This morning I went to Wsburg United Methodist Church's Aldersgate ministry to give an update on our dreams for a shelter. Capt. Greg Shannon, from Salvation Army, was the guest speaker today. Those who don't live here or those who do, yet haven't met him, I would like to say he is an incredible person. I am not just saying as a SA Capt., but as a person. I don't know him personally very well, but I can say it is hard to get close to him, for his heart is larger than his boundaries and his spirit radiates God, goodness and care that you can't help but to be near his efforts! I have met several Capt.s from SA in my time, yet none have ever impressed me as much as Capt. Shannon.

He gave some background on the Salvation Army, but more importantly, about their motto: OTHERS. Isn't that what God asks us all to be about in our works? When we seek out others who need help, we are doing His work for Him. We are reaching out to those in need, just as Jesus reached out to us. Commander Booth took it upon his works to welcome the people who smelled, were dirty, unfed, unclothed, without a home and lack of spiritual teaching.

We as humans are not worthy of God's love and the cost for our sins, yet He loves us so greatly that he forgives us daily for all we do or not do. As humans, we call out for God's help and forgiveness. But, as humans, we forget to show OTHERS the same love, friendship and forgiveness that we expect from God. Many of us walk past the homeless without blinking an eye, let alone smile or speak to them. Many of us assume they are drunk again or just got out of jail. As a matter of fact, around here they are known as THOSE people. I have sat down with many, shared meals with several, studied the Bible numerous times with and sometimes received advice from a few of the females about my own problems. They are human just as you and I. They long for friendship, not charity. They enjoy time together as a person, not like some freak to be observed or 'caged behind the town's barriers'. They bleed the same as you, they hurt when ignored, they cry many times when shown love. What makes them different from the rest of the community? Just because they don't have a home? After Isabel, many in Williamsburg doesn't have a home. Why are they deserving of help and kindness and not the homeless on the streets and in the weekly motels?

Commander Booth took it as an honor to be called upon for his work and so do I. It should be my choice if I want to have the homeless as my friends and to help as much as I possibly can. I don't tell people in the community where they can work or what job they can have, so why should you be able to dictate my work? And just maybe if you would take the time out to sit down and get to know them as a person, you might find a friend as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home